Fifth Sunday in Lent (4)

 

                                                                        Mary, by Libby Byrne

Yes, I Will Trust 

The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. - John 1: 9-14

As one who was not raised in the Anglican Church and having only been a member for a mere four years, I will confess that often I feel like I need an “Anglican for Dummies” book in order to understand the intricacies and minutia of all things Anglican. But alas, I have not come across such a book; therefore, I often find myself googling for information. That is what I undertook in order to learn about today’s feast day – the Feast of the Annunciation.

What I discovered, and I’m sure for the majority of today’s readers this is not news, is that exactly nine months from today we will celebrate when the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. Inversely, counting back nine months from Christmas Day we arrive at today, March 25. Who knew? Not me!

While searching for information about the Feast of the Annunciation, I came across an online message by Rev. Dr. Dean Pinter, St Aidan Anglican Church in Moose Jaw, SK (March 25, 2020) in which he discusses March 25th in regards to The Lord of the Rings:  

·       In Tolkien’s story, The Lord of the Rings, it’s on the 25th of March that the ring gets cast into the fires of Mt. Doom, evil is undone and the evil archdemon Sauron is defeated. Tolkien, as a devout Christian, knew his church history, and he intentionally used the 25th of March as the day evil begins to be undone because he understood that was the feast day of the Annunciation.  The day that just like a humble hobbit would throw a ring into the fires of Mt. Doom, on the 25th of March we remember that a humble Palestinian young woman said “Yes” to the Angel Gabriel and by saying yes began the undoing of death.

Note that Mary did not say “but this is impossible” or “I am not worthy” or “please pick someone else, this is too difficult.” Instead, in response to this most unparalleled visitation and proclamation from the Angel Gabriel, Mary answers: “I am the Lord’s servant…may your word to me be fulfilled.”

When I reflected on Mary’s response, I was struck by what had to be her absolute trust in God. While we may never experience a visitation from an angel, throughout our lifetime, even throughout our day, we will find ourselves in circumstances where we will be required to have faith in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and say “yes, I will trust” to God.

A few years ago, I wrote a piece called Restoration about hope and trust:

Restoration

Faintest faith I oft possess but I abide,

Though trials bring manifold plights I still survive;

Midst my low position I am pressing on,

Buttressed by the buds blossoming like praise drawn.

Beyond burdens, high above spires, a dove flies,

Aloft a tree entwined with green velvet vines;

Spirit stirred, I savor hushed olive branch peace,

While winds make evensongs from tree rustling entreats.

Soul searching high for answers in forests deep,

Weeping with the willows and the watchful meek;

Words whispered low promise a house sublime waits,

Amidst a tree orchard yield of fulsome grace.

Breath bated, I reach towards God and endure,

Despite droughts dry and torrid I am assured,

Hope holds up depleted and trust rouses rain,

Storms sprinkle the living waters in soil drained.

Radiantly restored green leaves crown the sage woods,

Where Wisdom’s tree extends roots steadfast and good;

Ways wander and yet perfect love proffers paths,

Morning mercies make trails free of fruitless pasts.

Beseechers by the strength of God are upheld,

Tired tears dry and hurts forever are felled;

Bewildered broom tree despair wilts and joy flows,

When weak flourish, sown seeds ever after grow.

-  ©Patricia Poriz 2019

 Once you have read through the piece, go back and read it vertically, using the third word of each line, and you will find the following from Ezekiel 17:24 (NRSV): I bring low the high tree. I make high the low tree. I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish.

Then go back again and read the piece vertically, this time using the sixth word of each line, and you will find the following from Psalm 52:8 (NRSV): But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever.

On this March 25, even if you have only the faintest of faith, say to God “yes, I will trust”. Even if you are feeling low or dry, say “yes, I will trust”. Even when God does not remove the mountains that in our humanness we want moved, even when the waters that we wish would part do not part and we are worried we will drown, even when we seem to have more questions than answers, may we like Mary trust in the steadfast love of God, wait upon the Lord, and be at peace.

Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace – in peace because they trust in you (Isaiah 26:3 NRSV).

- Patricia Poriz