Third Sunday in Lent (1)

 

Romans 4:4-8

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

 7 “Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”

Over the past year I have been training for a Marathon. If you have the fortune of having a runner in your life, you will know two things to be true: one is that they never stop eating; the other being that they never stop talking about running. So as I sit here reflecting on this passage, eating two bagels, I can't help but also reflect on my personal physical journey.

The training plan I am on was meant to be a 16 week plan, I started it in February 2020 and have encountered more problems than anticipated, as well all have over the last thirteen months.

But we're stronger now, and we're are getting better everyday!

Paul is highlighting the power of God’s forgiveness of sin, separate from our good deeds. He is talking about pleasing God, even though we're imperfect. God's favor isn't a scale of good deeds balancing out bad deeds, it's about striving always to progress, and knowing that if you stumble God is there to grant forgiveness.

For me, this verse isn't about how far I've come in my life, or how my faith has grown and strengthened, and it's not about how much work I have ahead of me, nor my goals for the future.

This is about me right now.

This is about being halfway up the Westside Hill on a long run, being proud of the work I'm putting in, and grateful that I am able to put forth that effort. We all struggle, we all fall down, and get back up, and for each of us God is always there, waiting for you to tie your sneakers and get back to running.

I didn't know what music to attach with this, so I have chosen this three hour banjo solo. I enjoy listening to banjo music when I'm running so I thought it would be fitting.

7 “Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
        whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the one
            whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”

- Stef Collins
.